Friday, November 13, 2009

Oregon, Day 5

Thursday, November 12. NICE, SLOW morning. Ran around a bit with Joan’s kids and hung around their really nice house, which Paul actually built from scratch. My room is away from the rest of the family and animals that I feel like I’m in guest quarters.

At 4:00 I went to the performance seminar. I played first, “Introduction & Dance” by Barat. Then each of the students played for me, one at a time. I worked with a clarinetist, saxophonist, trombonist, tubist and an oboist. I had a great time, they all played well and I believe I was able to offer them a few suggestions that helped them along the path of musical growth.

Also, I made GREAT connect. The pianist here, Sarah, and her husband run a music school in or near Salem. While driving from Salem to Dayton, I spoke with Mary Lou about coming up once a month to do some private teaching. I spoke about this with Sarah and she seemed excited about the project. I’ll come up with a list of dates and I might be able to make something happen up here. There is no tuba teacher in Salem, so it might be a good inroad for me, perhaps looking towards the future. WHO KNOWS? Housing is cheap up here, relatively.

After seminar, we had a 6:30 band rehearsal at the First Baptist Church of McMinnville, where the concert is to be held. Rehearsal went off without a hitch (one percussionist didn't show up). Done before 7:10. We went over to a local Mexican restaurant for food. They featured excellent strawberry margaritas and chili rellenos. Home early, asleep before 10.

As much as I love these sojourns, I’m ready to be home. I hit the Coast Starlight Saturday, and I’ll be in my own place Sunday AM.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Why I hate the 24AW tuba mouthpiece

Over the years, I have had more than a few conversations about the 24AW mouthpiece. Maker (brand) doesn’t matter; Bach, Faxx, Blessing, Jupi...